Pages

Sunday, December 10, 2017

25 Days of Romcoms pt. 8: Sleepless in Seattle


Before get started, remember in the early days of DVDs when they gave you the option of watching the movie in widescreen or full screen? This is a relic from that era and I love it.

Number 18 on my list is Sleepless in Seattle, but it should be a bit higher. I'm 35 minutes into it as I write this sentence and I forgot how much I like this movie. Jonah is adorable. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan always have phenomenal chemistry. Rob Reiner is hilarious.

"First you have to be friends - you have to like each other. Then you neck. This could go on for years. Then you have tests and then you get to do it with a condom. The good news is you split the check."

"Hello Diane, take a look at these swatches!"

I'm also very partial to Rob Reiner because he looks like a heavier version of my dad when my dad has a beard. He hasn't had a beard for years, so watching Rob Reiner is very comforting.

Side note, I really didn't appreciate Nora Ephron while she was alive. She did some amazing movies. Maybe I'll add a Nora Ephron fest to the list of movies I'm going to watch.

Every time I watch this movie I have a memory from when I was a kid and watching this with my mom. There's a scene where Meg Ryan and Bill Pullman are getting ready for bed and I asked my mom if it was okay to live with someone when you're engaged. She said no and I asked why. I have no idea what she said next, but whatever it was, it didn't satisfy me. I remember thinking, "but you're getting married anyway. What's the big deal?" I probably said that out loud, too.

Thus began my heathenism. But it turned out fine because I can buy ice cream on Sundays for family dinner when they forget to buy it on Saturday.

Watching this as a 30 year old is pretty different than it ever was. Specifically with Jonah going to NYC on his own. Every other time it's been just kind of cute and funny and it's only sad towards the end when he's at the top of the Empire State Building by himself. But not now. I don't have kids, but I have several nieces and nephews right around Jonah's age and holy crap it made me sick to my stomach watching him on the plane and walk through the airport and into the building all by himself. I actually cried a little bit when Sam came and got him. I don't think that's ever happened.

Unlike The Wedding Singer, The music in this movie is perfect. I'm not sure if I've ever noticed it, but as Annie is going to the top of the Empire State Building and when Sam and Jonah come back up and find her, the theme song from An Affair to Remember is playing. Every moment that hails back to that movie is amazing. Especially Rita Wilson describing the plot through tears.

Rita Wilson: hilariously spoiling An Affair to Remember since 1993.

Man, I really should have rated this movie higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment