Pages

Friday, December 15, 2017

25 Days of Romcoms pt. 15: In a World


Like Easy A, it's probably a stretch to call this one a romantic comedy too. But even though the romance part is secondary, it's wonderfully awkward what with the going in for a kiss and getting the nose and owning it and the peck and running away as you yell, "I like you too!" You know, the way real romance is.

Can I just say early on how much I love Lake Bell? So much is how much I love her. I want her to do everything all of the time. Voice work, acting, directing, writing... She's just great at everything. So watch this movie. Cause she did all of that for this movie and it's amazing.

I love the final scene. "Women should sound like women, not baby dolls who end everything in a question. Let's make a statement."

Now, there's a debate in feminism right now regarding the way some women speak. One side says things like up talk and vocal fry are natural ways to speak and people who speak like that should be taken seriously while the other says it's hard to take people who speak like that seriously so they should change the way they talk. Lake Bell falls firmly on the latter side and as with many things (okay, some things), I'm somewhere in the middle (talk how you want to talk, but read the room), which is why I love that scene. Teaching women who will be leaders to not talk like sexy babies seems like a good thing.

One thing I don't love is that scene with Gina Davis. I love, love, LOVE her speech on how voice over matters and how Carol's voice is going to be the one that inspires a generation of girls, but I don't love how she ends by telling Carol that she wasn't the best for the job. Inspiring and making a difference is part of that job, so I'd argue otherwise. I'm just so confused as to what Bell meant by that. Was it supposed to be a fist pump moment or a "that sucks, she shouldn't have gotten the job then" moment? If I ever meet Lake Bell that's going to be the first thing I ask her.

No comments:

Post a Comment