Pages

Sunday, December 3, 2017

25 Days of Romcoms pt 2: 13 Going on 30


Number 24 on my list. Still kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel, but this one is definitely more entertaining than The Wedding Singer. Either that or the cake I was making while watching it was a good distraction.


I can't wait to eat tonight. Anyway, back to the movie. I always forget I share the same name with the main character. Which is weird, because while a fair amount of people were being named Jenna in 1987, not a lot of 13 year olds were named Jenna in 1987. That seems to be a thing in movies: the names of the main characters are about a generation off in trendiness.

One thing that I don't know if I picked up on before is that a lot of what is said and done while Jenna is adjusting to her new 30-year-old life (ha!) seems like it's a 13 year old's interpretation of what adults would do and say in those situations. Her hockey boyfriend Alex, in particular. I mean, who does a strip tease to Ice Ice Baby?


His character would have been much more enjoyable if he had been played by Paul Rudd.

Speaking of Jenna's love interests, can she not land someone actually attractive? I mean, you've got the unlovable goof ball above, and two guys who are so weird looking that I couldn't even find a decent picture of them. The beautiful sleaze ball that Jenna is in the movie would go for other beautiful sleaze balls. Not weird looking ones.

You know who isn't a weird looking sleaze ball? Mark Ruffalo. He should have been a leading man more often. And he's really only gotten better with age.

2004 Mark Ruffalo:


And 2017 Mark Ruffalo:


I mean, come on! I guess all of Jenna's weird looking suitors make this one worth it.

Also, what parents let their 13 year old have a slumber party in a strange 30 year old woman's house? How did that happen? What were the logistics?

No comments:

Post a Comment