Pages

Friday, December 8, 2017

25 Days of Romcoms pt. 6: Bridget Jones's Baby


This movie is the near-perfect follow up to a near-perfect classic. Perfect except for the fact that Mark has aged faster than Bridget. In the original movie, he was 4 years older than her. "Did I really run around naked in your paddling pool?" "Oh yes, you were four and I was eight." Then in this movie, when Mark is checking their compatibility on a horribly interfaced dating website, he enters his age as 50. Bridget turns 43 at the beginning of the movie. Did he go on some light-speed galactic trip? Or would it be her that would need to? I never really understood how that worked. Either way, it's probably better that they did that because while Renee Zellwiger can pass for 43 at 47, Colin Firth probably can't pass for 47 at 56. 

The only thing I don't like about this movie is all the ragging on Millennials. I'm very much over it. I like making fun of lunches on Instagram and curly mustaches as much as the next person, but no one in my generation is going to look impressed when you use the word "hashtag" in a sentence. 

What I do like is Bridget so much better when she's a little bit of a basket case but also successful and has two great guys after her instead of one great guy and one pit stain. 

And what I love is that Mark's middle name is Fitzwilliam. It's making me regret I excluded period movies from this little adventure.

I also love Emma Thompson. Both in this movie and generally. Her character is the superior character. 

I think I've watched this movie at least 3 or 4 times since it came out last year. It's a great pick for when life is terrible and you just need a cute, un-lifelike pick me up. Which has been pretty much this entire year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment