Pages

Monday, December 4, 2017

25 Days of Romcoms pt. 4: Only You

I'm watching this movie and writing this post instead of grading tests, writing a paper, and reading one of the billion readings I have to do by the weekend. This is what the last week of school is. 


Number 22. My sisters hate this movie but my mom and I enjoy it. I can't say no to Marisa Tomei, Robert Downey Jr., or Bonnie Hunt and all three of them are in this movie. So you know, duh. 

I miss Bonnie Hunt.

Also, what is it with Romcoms where the male lead lying to the female lead? Six of my 25 include that very device as a major plot point. Of course, there's one movie where the female lead lies to the male lead, but it's more of a misunderstanding that she doesn't immediately correct, not something she says to get into his pants. Totally not as bad.

And speaking of Tomei and Downey (we were doing that, right?), they have both aged phenomenally.

Exhibit A:


Exhibit B:


Exhibit C: 


Seriously, who ages that way?!

Back to the movie. Secondary couple is Bonnie Hunt (Kate) and Fisher Stevens (Larry). Larry is introduced as an awful person who demands his wife get home and make sandwiches for him and his friends. Why is she with him and why is it that when she tells Faith that she's leaving him, the big thing is that she thinks he's having an affair, not that he's a terrible person. Joaquim de Almeida is the superior person for Kate, even though he just wants in her pants. (Apart from the "My wife's in It'ly" scene.)

Of course, Peter is also a terrible person. Not for lying to Faith, he did that for "good" reasons. No, at the end of the movie Peter is sitting on an airplane, shoes off, feet up on the top of the chair in front of him. Only a monster would do that.

All things considered, we're still hanging out towards the bottom. It's got a couple good lines (maybe just one) and Bonnie Hunt is always amazing, but there's a reason it's number 22. I guess even with romcoms I have a hard time buying into the whole destiny and soul mates thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment