Pages

Friday, December 1, 2017

25 Days of Romcoms pt. 1: The Wedding Singer


We begin with number 25 on my list: The Wedding Singer, 1998.

This movie is not as good as it was when I was a teenager and it probably shouldn't be on my top 25 list anymore (because that list totally existed in real life before I decided to do this project). The reason this movie isn't good is not because I watched it so much that it stopped being good. There are plenty of movies I've seen a hundred times or more and I still love them (which you'll see closer to Christmas). Point being, I got bored. This movie is boring. That and I haven't liked Adam Sandler since I was about 17, and while The Wedding Singer isn't typical Adam Sandler, it's still Adam Sandler. My dislike for modern-day Sandler seems to have tainted my enjoyment of 1998 Sandler.

One of the things that did make me laugh was at Robbie's wedding in the beginning. I don't think I ever noticed that the string quartet was playing Don't Stop Believing as he was waiting at the end of the aisle for Linda. I can't imagine 80's weddings actually featured Journey on strings, but it was at least funny.

That seemed to be a theme while I watched the movie - the music. I remember liking the soundtrack and I still do, but something seemed off about it. It was probably the fact that music doesn't play a big role in movies these days, but the snippets of songs in the scene transitions seemed a little awkward and pigeonholed. I don't know if that's because it was actually awkward or because the lack of good movie music lately has ruined me.

I also may or may not have teared up when David Bowie came on in the club.

But enough about the music.

The ending is still cute and that growing old with you song still does it for me.

I guess that was still about the music.

That's all I've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment