Pages

Thursday, December 28, 2017

25 Days of Romcoms pt. 25: Strictly Ballroom


Now, this is listed as my favorite romcom, but my top 5ish kind of cycle through. For the last year or so I've been on a Strictly Ballroom kick, Baz Luhrmann's first and best film.

I can never decide if this movie is the Bazziest of Baz's films or the least Bazziest. It's over the top and visually loud, but it isn't overdone like some of his other films (I'm looking at you, The Great Gatsby). Moulin Rouge certainly has more special effects that make the movie Bazzy, but the story, the costumes, the dialogue, they all very clearly bear Baz's name in glitter without going overboard. It is more Bazzy to do too much or to do just enough?

Either way, this movie is a delight to consume from beginning...



to end.



All of the bits in the middle are fantastic too, just in case those didn't spark your curiosity.


It's not on Netflix anymore, so let me know if you need to borrow the DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment