Pages

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

25 Days of Romcoms pt. 22: Sabrina


Probably the only remake in history to be better than the original. I love Audrey Hepburn, but sister, aim higher than Humphrey Bogart. Sure, Harrison Ford was no spring chicken in 1995 either, but who would you rather bone - Humphrey at 55


Or Harrison at 53? 


I think we have a pretty clear winner. 

But that's not the only reason the remake is better than the original. It's funnier, Sabrina is a bit more of an actual person, the romance makes more sense, David's fiance is more of an actual person... It's just all around better. Plus the remake knew when to not change a good thing. 


They also know how to add some amazing things. 

"Maude was on the cover of Fortune... Linus was on the cover of Time... David... did a Gap ad." 

"Mr. Tom, maybe is not for me to put my hands in on this, but when I first come to this country, I am alone, like Sabrina. I just weigh more. So I ask to God why I am here, I say, 'Why God?' but there is no answer. And so I stop crying. It takes eleven years!"

"I pay for your life, David. My life makes your life possible."
"I resent that."
"So do I!" 

"I'm in no position to take care of a wife!" 
"Elizabeth is a doctor an a millionaire, David. She won't be a burden." 

[On the phone] "He's not going to sue his own mother... Well, he's not me!" 

"Maybe I should talk to Sabrina." 
"And say what?" 
"Sabrina, you're very lovely. But David has a short attention span, he's just jerking your chain. Can I say that to a woman, 'jerking your chain'?" 

"Sabrina. Hiii! Did the dry cleaners have your car?" 

"David! When did you ever-"
"Mother you've copied me on the financial statements of this company for 17 years. You just assumed I couldn't read." 

This movie always makes me want to move to Paris even though Paris wouldn't be my first choice if I were to move to Europe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment