Pages

Thursday, December 14, 2017

25 Days of Romcoms pt. 12: 10 Things I Hate About You


I miss Heath Ledger so, so much. The man was just getting started. And he was just so, so pretty. After watching all the classic romcoms and Norah Ephron movies and Channing Tatum movies maybe I should watch all the Heath Ledger movies. 

Remember back with I.Q. when I said maybe 3 or 4 movies featured men deceiving women? Seems to be more like every third movie. 

So far the funnest part of watching most of these movies is the memories that come with them. For this one, I remember asking someone (I want to say it was either my dad or my sister) why the gym teacher confiscated some kid's Cheetos in detention right after he confiscated another kid's pot. I didn't get the joke and whoever I asked responded by telling me that pot gives you the munchies. I still didn't get it. Pot give you the munchies, he confiscated pot, then confiscated Cheetos from someone else. Did he think that kid had pot? Was he punishing him? It was years before I realized that the gym teacher was George Michael: 


Just kidding. I was George Michael. That's why it never even occurred to me that the teacher would do drugs. 

This movie also reminds me of being 14. My sister and I were on a road trip and forgot to grab any music (back then you had to bring CDs [each one containing about 12 songs] in the car if you wanted to listen to anything other than the radio) and all she had was a single tape (a small, plastic rectangular device that had a film like roll inside which would play music) with maybe 8 songs on it. Three of those songs are featured in this movie. Two at the prom and one in the end credits. I still can't hear those songs without singing along, even in the middle of a movie. 

The worst thing about watching this movie is remembering yet again that I haven't read The Taming of the Shrew. Will I find it funny or horrifyingly sexist? 


No comments:

Post a Comment