Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Life plans?

So I may or may not have decided to do with my life. I think I'm going to be a social worker. My friend John has on occasion mentioned that I should look into it so it's always been in the back of my head. It was moved to the forefront recently when I was talking to my friend Bryan about not knowing what I want to do. I told him that when it comes right down to it, I just want to help people. As long as I feel like I'm helping people I can be happy in my choice of career. He asked me if I had considered social work and I told him that I kind of had. I started thinking about it and reading my patriarchal blessing and it just makes sense. More sense than anything I've come up with so far at least. The U has a master's program where I could get a MSW with an emphasis in international social work. With that emphasis I could work with refugees or even work abroad if I ever wanted to. At the same time, with the master's in social work, I could be a regular social worker anywhere. Seriously, anywhere I go I can be a social worker. With the jobs I was looking into previously, it wasn't like that at all. So I'm getting pretty excited. I think I'm going to go home after my internship, find a job related to social work, work for about a year and pay off my student loans (easy to do if I maybe move back home - are you down with that, Mom?) then start school in the fall of 2010. I just need to make sure I apply other places too cause the program at the U had 300 applicants this last year for 120 spots. Kind of intense, but that would be my first pick at this point. The more I think about this, the more I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment