Pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

Movies to Watch for VD

I'm laughing like an idiot right now, by the way. That title is freaking hilarious.

Still laughing. One second...

Okay, I'm good.

So last year I saw a post on one of my favorite websites (The Mary Sue) that went through romanceless movies to watch on Valentine's Day. I thought, "what a fun idea!" I started writing my own post, then got bored because I realized how little I care about Valentine's Day. Yes, being in a relationship has recently made me a little more cheesy than I generally am, but I still don't care about the holiday. Don't hate it, don't love it, I just don't care.

But I wanted to write something this year for several reasons. First, it gave me a reason to make a venereal disease joke and those are almost always funny (unless you have VD, in which case I'm sorry for my poor taste and insensitivity). Second, I'm kind of celebrating the holiday this year (not with my long distance boyfriend, mind you) by ironically enjoying a heart shaped pizza from Papa Murphy's, unironically enjoying homemade heart shaped sugar cookies (because those are good in any shape), and watching a movie with my sister and brother in law, so I guess I'm in some kind of holiday spirit. And Third, I felt like it.

So here's my list of things to watch on Valentine's Day. All with some sort of love theme, cause why not? I limited it to TV shows and films that I own. I also took my own pictures because I just got an iPad and wanted an excuse to use it. Don't judge the quality of the pictures, because who takes actual photos with their iPad, and don't judge the carpet. I rent, it's surprisingly affordable, and I live by myself. I'm not going to begrudge an ugly carpet.

Persuasion


Because it's one of my favorite Jane Austen films. 

Wonderfalls


Because Jaye learns a number of lessons - at least two of them have to do with love.

Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog


Because love isn't always pure, nor does it end with everyone still alive.

The Importance of Being Earnest


Because duh, Judi Dench!

Pushing Daisies


Because no one tells a good love story like Bryan Fuller and Jim Dale. 

Band of Brothers


Because what stronger bond is there than that formed in battle?

Midnight in Paris


Because even though I have pretty much no respect for Woody Allen as a person, I still like this movie.

Once


Because it's pretty much the best love story ever.

Babe


Because the only bond stronger than a man and his dog is a man and his pig.

An Ideal Husband


Because Cate Blanchett is my lady crush. 

Parks and Recreation


Because Leslie Knope invented Galentine's Day.

Pacific Rim


Because not every love story is a romantic love story.

Oscar


Because I don't care what Rotten Tomatoes says - this movie is hilarious and everyone should watch it.

French Kiss


Because no one can rock a mustache and still be hot like Kevin Kline. 

Bridesmaids


Because it's one of the funniest movies ever made.

Anything written by Shakespeare (yes, even Henry V)


Because he pretty much invented love.

The Elizabeth Gaskell Collection (Wives and Daughters, Cranford, and North and South)


Because Pride and Prejudice has nothing on these three (except when Darcy gets wet).

Firefly


Because a love story between an inanimate object and its crew is a beautiful thing.

Jurassic Park


Because too much love for something (especially dinosaurs) can sometimes end badly.

The Cornetto Tilogy


Because it tells the tale of the three greatest bromances of all time.

Silver Linings Playbook


Because it normalizes mental illness and duh, Jennifer Lawrence.

Roman Holiday


Because love is sometimes short-lived.

While You Were Sleeping


Because these mashed potatoes are so creamy.

Best in Show


Because people really love their dogs. 

Amelie


Because it really will change your life.

Labyrinth


Because even though David Bowie has power over me, he has no power over Sarah.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels


Because we love watch rich people get conned out of their money.

Moonrise Kingdom


Because it's the best love story Wes Anderson has ever told. 

The Philadelphia Story


Because duh, Katherine Hepburn!

Sense and Sensibility


Because this isn't about anything but love.

Sabrina


Because I'm pretty sure this is the only remake I like better than the original.

About a Boy


Because Will really does have a heart and duh, Toni Colette!

Pillow Talk


Because anything with Doris Day and Rock Hudson is a good idea.

Pride and Prejudice


Because Elizabeth is pretty much the coolest Jane Austen character ever.

Anything with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan


Because you like to think that it's a trilogy and they both suffer from chronic amnesia but they always find their way back to each other. 

Thoroughly Modern Millie


Because it's probably the greatest musical ever. 

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not


Because you'll sit up 30 minutes into the movie and go, WTF?!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer


Because you don't need an excuse to ever watch this show.

Benny and Joon


Because I used to like Johnny Depp.

Seven Psychopaths


Because at the end of the day, it's just a love story about a man and his dog. 

The Red Curtain Trilogy


Because nothing Baz Luhrmann has done since has even come close to touching these three. 

Casablanca


Because it is the quintessential love story.

No comments:

Post a Comment