Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Let's Just Take a Moment...

TO APPRECIATE THE PERFECTION that is the casting decisions for the new A Wrinkle in Time adaptation.

Before we get to the cast, Ava DuVernay is directing.

Image result for ava duvernay

Of Selma and Scandal fame, among others. If you don't know who she is, look her up and read some interviews. This woman is as classy as she is fierce.

Mrs. Whatsit will be played by Reese Witherspoon.

Image result for reese witherspoon

Now, when they first announced this, my initial thought was that she is WAY too young. And yeah, it would have been awesome to see really old actresses playing really old characters. I imagine CGI will be involved. But just wait...

Mrs. Who will be played by Mindy Kaling.

Image result for mindy kaling

Mindy Kaling, guys. MINDY KALING!!! I've seen her play exactly two characters and both have a lot of similarities, so I am very much looking forward to seeing her play the eccentric Mrs. Who. Mindy is hilarious and I can't wait to see her act in a role that is so far from what she's done so far.

Mrs. Which will be played by Oprah Winfrey

Image result for oprah winfrey

Oh, just Oprah. Who everyone loves even if you don't. Like Beyonce.

Anyway, are you spotting a pattern yet?

If not, I'm sure you will in a moment...

Meg Murray will be played by Storm Reid.

Image result for storm reid

She was in 12 Years a Slave, which I have only seen once and don't intent to watch again because it is just that amazing and difficult to watch. I can't speak to her skill, but if she's good enough to land a role in that film, she's going to be amazing.

Mrs. Murray (mother slash brilliant scientist) will be played by Gugu Mbatha-Raw.

Image result for Gugu Mbatha-Raw

Of Belle and Concussion. Mostly Belle because she was absolutely amazing in that film.

So yeah, brilliant cast, but look at how many white people there are so far: one. ONE! How often does that happen?? THIS IS WHAT WE WANT, HOLLYWOOD!!!

A Wrinkle in Time is a phenomenal story and could prove to be a very lucrative franchise for Disney. Want to know what makes a movie even more money than just being a good franchise? Diversity. Don't take my word for it, though. (What, you think I'm gonna link you to something? Do your own damn research!)

It's a story about an incredible family, all of whom are ridiculously smart. Want to know how many black scientists in movies I can think of off the top of my head? Zero. I've got one from TV, but that's it.

THIS is what the world looks like. And THIS is what I want. THIS is what we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment