Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

TV Openings One Does Not Simply Fast-Forward Through

If I made memes, I'd make a few "One does not simply" memes and put them onto one of my many geek boards on Pinterest. As it is, I'll just have to write a blog.

I started this post out by including opening credits for movies, but it started getting really long (not that taking out the movies made it all that much shorter) so that will have to be another post for another day. Or maybe today since I'm home sick with nothing better to do.

This doesn't need much of an introduction, nor will most of the actual videos need much explanation. So let's get started.

Game of Thrones

To me, this is quite literally one of the most perfect television opening credits in history. The fact that I love maps (especially fanciful maps) may or may not have something to do with that opinion. One thing that makes it awesome is the locations they show you on the map change as the characters travel. And don't even get me started on the music. Suffice it to say that the music is pretty freaking perfect.




Dexter

I haven't kept up with Dexter recently (season six was terrible and it left me with no desire to continue), but I still love this opening. If you aren't familiar with Dexter, he's a blood spatter analyst for Miami Metro police whilst moonlighting as a sociopathic serial killer who only kills serial killers/rapists/generally bad people. The opening credits take a new meaning once knowing that.



Veronica Mars

I can't tell you why I love this so much other than the fact that it's just so catchy and Veronica Mars is just so awesome. Every time I hear this song I do the same little shimmy in my seat. 


Don't ever watch the season 3 opening, though. If that catches your curiosity, I've included that below as well. Season three wasn't great, and the changes in the opening are there to warn you. Instead of shimmying, my face does the I-smell-something-nasty expression. 


It's just so bad!


Wonderfalls

Another one that I can't tell you why I love it so much. As much as I love Pushing Daisies and Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls might be my favorite Bryan Fuller show. Although, Mockingbird Lane was poised to replace Wonderfalls as my number one. That man has worse luck than Joss. 



Doctor Who

There are more Doctor Who opening credits than there are Doctors, but I love every one. Yes, some I love more than others, but they all have that quintessential sci-fi element.

This one is the most recent. It changed with the Christmas special and I assume this one will stick for a while (MARCH 30TH!!!)


This one is probably my favorite (although I am a big fan of the newest one). It's from season four, which I love more than any other David Tennant season. This opening was just a little more rock and roll than previous seasons and I love it. 



Parks and Recreation

Another catchy theme. Plus, watching Ron Swanson play with a gold plated replica of Hugo Chavez's gun always makes me happy. 



Mad Men

Presented to you without comment. 



Walking Dead

Nothing says post-apocalyptic society like this. 



Downton Abbey

Still one of my favorites, even if it does open on a dog's butt. 




United States of Tara

If you haven't seen this show yet, I very highly recommend it. The only reason one needs to watch something with Toni Colette is Toni Colette. Beyond that, however, this show is great. She plays a mother with Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), previously known as multiple personality disorder. This woman really can do anything and the various roles she plays showcase her talent beautifully. 

Okay, I'll stop gushing over one of my favorite actors ever. Here's the intro.  



Flight of the Conchords

I first saw these guys (or rather, watched them on YouTube) long before the show came out. I still remember watching the intro for the very first time thinking how perfect it was for them. 


This is also a sneaky way to tell everyone (yet again) that I met them 5 years ago on my 21st birthday. I've got the picture and autographs to prove it. I will never get tired of bragging about that. 


Breaking Bad

I struggled over whether to include the short ones like this and I realized, why not? Cause some of them are fantastic. Like this one. 



Firefly

This is where I would put a video of the Firefly opening sequence. However, since Fox is manned by a bunch of douche bags, there is no such video to post. Just go watch the show. Right now. If you only watch one show from this list, watch Firefly. 


Sherlock

Although, you should watch more than one show on this list. Every time I hear this theme music I want to know what that instrument is - the harpsichord/piano sounding thing. It's kind of in the background so you have to listen to it. Either that or I'm totally hearing things. 



The X Files

You thought I wasn't going to put this in, didn't you? Oh, gentle reader, I would never forget The X Files. 

No comments:

Post a Comment