Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Time for Some Gender Swapping!

I've decided that I want to gender swap my favorite TV shows and/or movies. I want you to appreciate how hard this is going to be for me. I gender swapped Oz and Wesley in my recasting of Buffy in a previous post, but Mae Whitman and Felicia Day specifically came to mind for those characters. Here, I'm going to have to do it kind of backwards I guess. No female comes immediately to mind when thinking of, say, the 11th Doctor.

Today, I'm going to focus on Supernatural for two reasons. First, I love it. Minus most of season 6 and all of season 7, of course. If I had gotten into this show earlier, I probably would have stopped somewhere in season 6. But I didn't, so I was able to power through 6 and 7 and so far season 8 has generally left me with hope. Thus, my obsession is going strong, if not in full swing.

Second, one of the things I hate about Supernatural is how all the women are either evil or die. Or both. It doesn't keep me from enjoying the show, but it does cause a lot of eye rolling. Because seriously, every single woman. Dead and/or evil. It gets old. This is just a thing to help me feel like I'm getting just a little bit of revenge.

So, without further ado, Supernatural Gender Swap!



1. Dean Winchester: Emma Stone ('Dean' - it's totally a girls name too)


My first instinct was to go with Sarah Michelle Gellar, but I thought that was a bit lazy. Buffy and Dean are almost the same person. In fact, the more I think about it, the more money I'd put on Eric Kripke creating Dean as an homage to Buffy. Besides Sarah, I thought a few people would be able to pull off the oft-closed and sarcastic yet emotional Dean Winchester. Eliza Dushku, Amy Acker, and Emily Blunt also came to mind, but Emma Sone won out.

2. Sam Winchester: Emma Watson ('Sami' or just 'Sam'.)



I had a couple other actresses in mind for Sam, but then I remembered Sam needed to be younger than Dean. I actually had to look up actresses born after Emma Stone (1988 apparently). I came across Emma Watson's name and thought it would be a good fit. She can do the borderline self-righteous, introspective, addict. Looks-wise, the two Emmas (ah! E-squared! Perfect!) have nothing in common besides the fact that they're both beautiful, but that's all Jensen and Jared (J-squared, for all you non-SPNers) have in common too, so it works. Also, she can do the puppy dog eyes.

3. Castiel: Summer Glau ('Castiel' could go both ways. Shortened version would be 'Cass' with two s's, because why not?)

 

Is there really any other choice for a female Cas? Summer can pull off just about anything. Including the sexy, oblivious, socially awkward, badass, scary, loyal, strangely literal angel. Although it would be a waste to use Summer Glau if Castiel didn't do more hand-to-hand combat. Cause she kind of rocks at that. I want to go watch Serenity now...

4. Bobby Singer: Toni Collette ('Bobbi')

 

Because she can do anything. United States of Tara alone should prove that. And she really would make a great alcoholic father (or I guess mother) figure. Also because I love her so much. Mainly because she can do anything.

5. Crowley: Christina Hendricks (Since 'Crowley' is a last name, I'm sticking with this one too. I love how unisex all these names are!)



Crowley. One of my favorite characters played by one of my favorite actors. The King of Hell. Sarcastic, hilarious, crazy scary, making you laugh one minute and cutting someone's finger off the next. He's only in it for himself and he'll do whatever he needs to in order for him to survive. Not only do both Mark Sheppard and Christina Hendricks define sex appeal (although let's be honest, no one holds a candle to Hendricks in that department), but I think she would be fantastic at owning the characteristics of Crowley. Christina Hendricks - the Queen of Hell.

In trying to come up with character number six, I decided to look at IMDB to see who has been in more episodes than a handful, and I'm realizing that this is not even a little bit of an ensemble cast. Over 150 episodes and Jim Beaver (Bobby) has been in 54, Misha Collins (Castiel) has been in 49, and Mark Sheppard (Crowley) has been in 19. Those numbers may be a little out dated, but it can't be by all that much. The dumb show kills off too many people! Meaning everyone. If they aren't already dead, every person in this show has died at one point or another. In the case of Dean, multiple times. I feel like I usually watch ensemble shows. This, and I guess Doctor Who, being the exceptions.

I'll stop there for now. The character with the next most appearances is John Winchester (played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Beautiful father to two beautiful boys... even though he's I think 12 years older than Jensen Ackles) and he's at 13 episodes. Mostly I'm just lazy right now though.

1 comment: