Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Once Upon Another Great Show

Once Upon a Time. If memory serves (and there's a good chance it won't), this and Grimm started right around the same time. At the time I knew I wouldn't keep up with both and I felt conflicted about which one to watch. A couple of the writers from Buffy were writing for Grimm, but Once Upon a Time had a stronger pull which I'll get to in a minute. Anyway, started watching Once Upon a Time and I've done a pretty good job of keeping up. Especially now that I'm not in school and have way too much time on my hands.


On a scale of 1 to 10 of shows that I've seen at least one full episode of, with 1 being Big Bang Theory and 10 being Buffy, I'd say Once Upon a Time is about a 7 overall. I wouldn't say it's one of my favorite shows (although I'm liking it more and more), but like I said, I follow it pretty well for several reasons.

First, Ginnifer Goodwin. As Snow White. A crazy-awesome-and-kills-trolls Snow White. Come on!


Second, Jennifer Morrison as Emma, Snow White's daughter. Time stopped for Snow but not Emma, so it makes sense. These two are the Jensen Ackles/Jared Padalecki of ABC. It's almost laughable how beautiful these two people are. 


Third, Red Riding Hood/Ruby. My favorite non-main character. Her story is freaking awesome. For real. 


Fourth, Robert Carlyle as Rumpelstiltskin/Mr. Gold. Characters who are on their own side are always among the most interesting. 



Fifth, and the main reason for writing this post, all of the main characters are women. Snow White/Mary-Margaret, Emma, and Regina/Evil Queen. There are some almost main characters who are male, Charming/David, Henry, and Mr. Gold/Rumpelstiltskin, but the story mainly belong to the women. And even though they're all fairy tale characters, they're real women. They have complicated personalities and motivations and no one is all good or all bad. Plus, in general (maybe with the exception of Cinderella and Aurora so far), they're all super awesome.


A couple episodes ago, Emma and Snow/Mary-Margaret were walking to a beanstalk with three others to steal a magic compass from a giant to try to get back to our world (simple reason - Emma wants to get back to her son who she adopted out 10 years ago [Henry, who was adopted by Regina/Evil Queen] and her newfound father [Prince Charming/David] while Snow White wants to get back to her recently remembered husband [Charming/David] and newfound grandson [Henry]. Just watch it). The three others traveling with them were Aurora, Mulan (!!!), and Captain Hook. Besides the later seasons of Buffy, how often do you see a group make-up like that? Usually you get the smurfette principle and see one woman with four men.


Like every feminist, I like to see gender equality in general. (Oh, and just so you know, if you think both men and women deserve to be treated as human beings, you're a feminist). Women may get more screen time in this particular show, but it's so incredibly rare that this happens in television and film. It just keeps enthralling me when I watch a scene like the one above. It's just so cool!

If what I've written thus far hasn't convinced you to watch it yet, this last thing will.

Red Riding Hood is a werewolf.


No comments:

Post a Comment