Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Bachelorette/grad pad

It's official - I'm staying here for the foreseeable future. The plan I had to move out with a friend went to pot and the alternatives of spending more than I could on a studio or living with strangers again really didn't sound all that swell. I'll admit, I'm pretty disappointed I'm not moving out. About 98% of my social life is in Salt Lake, work will be in Salt Lake, school will be in Salt Lake, and better single's wards are in Salt Lake. Unfortunately, I'm in Orem. Come late August, I'll be commuting 5 days a week for school and work, and probably a lot on the weekends for friends. Don't get me wrong, I love my family. They're pretty freaking awesome and I really enjoy hanging out with them. But my parents raised me to be independent (mostly) and life just seems so much better when I'm on my own.

There are a couple up sides though. I'll be saving a ton of money, I'll... Ok, so there's one up side. But saving money right now is a pretty big one. At least that's what I've been telling myself.

Still, I'm going to make the most of it. I'm in the loft of my parent's house and I just spent the last 6ish hours cleaning and unpacking (I had kept pretty much all of my stuff in boxes because I was thinking I was going to move out again this summer). I still have a few finishing touches to make, but it's just about done.

Back in the day when the loft was livable, Sara and I lovingly christened it "The Bachelorette Pad" even though there was nothing really special about it. It opens down to the main floor and that makes it hard to have raves or pretend to watch movies while making out. In fact, I can only remember folding laundry and watching Buffy while my mom complained that 2 TVs in such close proximity wasn't working when it was the bachelorette pad.

After announcing my intentions of staying here until (hopefully) May, Sara asked if I was going to recreate the bachelorette pad. I mentioned my extreme lack of social life down here and the fact that my time in the loft will either be sleeping or studying and Cecily fittingly dubbed it my "Grad Pad."

For years now the loft has been collecting dust and boxes filled with odds and ends belonging to all four of the Christensen kids, not to mention pretty much everything I own as of a couple of months ago. However, you wouldn't know it to look at it now. The banisters have been cleared of dust and spiderwebs, the built in desk is 100% usable again, the floor has been vacuumed, the walls washed, and there isn't a single box in sight (ok, there are still two. But they'll be gone tomorrow after those finishing touches get finished). When it's done, I'll have a nice sitting area with my bookshelves and movies fitting snugly against the wall and my computer set up at the desk complete with headphones to distract me from the goings on downstairs while I work. All I need now is a kitchen and a soundproof enclosure!

No comments:

Post a Comment