Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Musings

It's 11:04 and I am not going to bed. Reason? Because tomorrow I work at 9 instead of going to school at 8:35. Meaning I get to leave the house at about 8:55 instead of 8:00. So even though turning out the light and focusing on my breath (that's how I fall asleep these days) sound beautiful to me right now, I'm going to wait because I can.

Musing number 1. No offense to those of you who have babies, but they're weird. I get zero enjoyment at looking at pictures or watching videos of random babies. Nor do I appreciate little clothes. However, there are three (soon to be four) exceptions to this rule: Tamsine Jane Christensen, Elliott John Ashley, Isabel [Danger] Gillis, and the future Heidi something Christensen. My nieces and nephews are pretty much the coolest things ever. Knowing that I not only love those three but actually like them gives me hope that I'll like my own kids even more. I had my doubts before Tamsine. But I just don't get other babies. I don't dislike babies, but I'm not one to ooh and aah like I feel like a lot of women are.

Musing number 2. I'm about 95% sure I'm going back to D.C. this summer. I've applied for one internship so far (I don't know if I can tell you where it is so I'm going to stay on the safe side and leave that part out) and I'm in the process of applying for several more just in case with the help of the Hinckley Institute of Politics and some woman in the College of Social Work I had never heard of until today. I'm still hoping for the first one that I won't tell you about, but I won't know until sometime between February 21st and May 31st. Let's hope it's sooner rather than later.

Musing number 3. For those of you who are interested (which better be all of you), my mom is almost done with her cancer treatments for now. She's been done with chemotherapy for a couple months and has only three radiation treatments left. As of Monday afternoon, she will be totally done (minus the CT scans every three months, then every six months for the rest of her life to make sure those damned cells stay dead). Her hair is starting to grown back and she has TONS more energy with radiation than she did with chemo. It's been very heartening to see her getting back to normal. The worst part of all this (besides the obvious, "my Mom got cancer") is that we'll never really know it's all over until, well, it's over. This existence at least. Probably the best part about all of this is knowing that this isn't it. Until then, it still sucks. But as someone close to me who will remain nameless to protect their anonymity would say, f*** cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment